|ALS Level 1 – 1 Day
Simulation & Clinical Skills Centre – The Royal Melbourne Hospital
Jointly accredited by the Resuscitation Council (UK)
and the Australian Resuscitation Council (ARC).
This Course should meet the needs of those who need more advanced skills than those taught during Basic Life Support (BLS) courses but who do not require the more comprehensive 2-day Advanced Life Support (ALS) Course. It should provide health care staff with the essential knowledge and skills needed to treat and manage adult cardio respiratory arrest patients.
This one day Course is designed to give the candidate the skills for managing a cardiac arrest or other medical emergencies in a clinical setting. The Course covers recognition of the critically ill patient, airway management, resuscitation procedures, defibrillation and basic drug therapy.
Assessment is undertaken during skill stations throughout the day on the ABCDE approach, Initial Resuscitation and Defibrillation and Airway Management.
The aim is to train healthcare personnel to manage patients with cardiac arrest until the arrival of a MET Team (Code Blue) and to participate as members of that team. The course will emphasise the importance of teamwork.
On successful completion of the Course, the Australian Resuscitation Council awards the candidate a certificate and registration card valid for 4 years.
- Causes and prevention of Cardiac Arrest (Lecture)
- The ABCDE approach (Skill Station)
- ALS Algorithm (Lecture)
- Initial Resuscitation and Defibrillation (Skill Station)
- Crisis Resource Management (Lecture)
- Airway Management (Skill Station)
- Cardiac Arrest Simulations (Skill Station)
The objectives of the ILS course are:
- To train healthcare personnel in causes and prevention of cardiopulmonary arrest, the ABCDE approach, initial resuscitation and defibrillation (manual and/or AED) and simple airway management
- To train healthcare personnel to manage patients in cardiopulmonary arrest until arrival of the resuscitation team
- To train healthcare personnel to participate as members of the resuscitation team
Participants will be able to:
- Understand the causes of cardio respiratory arrest in adults
- Identify patients at risk of cardio respiratory arrest
- Practice techniques for airway management in a simulated environment
- Identify the main cardiac rhythms associated with cardiac arrest
- Identify the indications for defibrillation and demonstrate safe defibrillation in a simulated environment
If you have any questions or queries about registering for this Course, please do not hesitate to contact us via e-mail at ALS1@mh.org.au
Dates, Fees and Registrations:Thursday, February 13 - Course Cancelled
2014 Dates (0800hrs - 1600hrs)
Friday, March 21 (Course Full)
Friday, May 16 (Course Full)
Tuesday, July 22 (Course Full)
Tuesday, September 16
Tuesday, October 21
Friday, November 14
Friday, December 12
Melbourne Health Employees: $300.00 (incl. GST)
Non-Melbourne Health Employees: $450.00 (incl. GST)
For any enquiries, please e-mail ALS1@mh.org.au
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY-
Terms & Conditions:
Please read carefully as these Terms & Conditions have recently changed
Registration to an ALS Level 1 Course:
- Registration to an ALS Course will be made only on receipt of COMPLETED Registration Forms. Places cannot be reserved without a formal Registration Form.
- Priority will be given to Melbourne Health Employees.
- Registrations to a Course will close two weeks prior to the Course. e.g If a Course is scheduled for Thursday, 13 February, 2014, Registrations will cease at 4.00pm on Thursday, 30 January, 2014.
- Late enrolments might be considered subject to availability.
- Payment can be made by credit card or cheque. No other modality of payment is acceptable.
- Group payments by either cheque or credit card IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. Each participant must pay for the Course individually.
- As a policy of the ALS Level 1 Course, payment will be deducted about two weeks prior to the Course.
Cancellations and Deferments – must be advised in writing or via email
- Cancellation or first deferment advised in writing or via email one week prior to the scheduled course date will generally not incur a financial penalty:
- Cancellations will be refunded in full
- An alternative course selection can be made without financial penalty
- Cancellations or deferments due to illness supported by a medical certificate will not incur a financial penalty.
- Transferring the Course Fee to a substitute participant will be at the discretion of Course Director/Co-ordinator.
- A refund will not be granted if a registrant fails to attend, cancels or defers less than 1 week prior to the course.
- A second deferment will incur a penalty of 100% of the registration fee.
- Full payment is required upon registration.
- RMH reserves the right to cancel planned courses even at short notice. In the event of cancellation by RMH, all course fees will be refunded. This precludes any other claims.
RMH is committed to protecting your privacy and the confidentiality and security of personal information provided by you to us.
The personal information you provide in this form will be used by RMH to:
- Process your registration form, which may include updating your record and profile information;
- Contact you in the event of cancellation;
- Conduct analysis or market research to identify the ongoing needs of the registrants;
Participants Responsibility to RMH
- If requested, participants are to provide proof of professional status
- If requested participants are to provide proof of completion of basic resuscitation skills
- Prior to the course, you might be requested to complete a basic resuscitation skill workshop if deemed necessary by the Course Director.
- All participants will be provided with a Manual prior to the Course. Pre-reading of this Manual is mandatory.
- Participants can successfully complete the Course only if they attend all the lectures and skills stations.
- Participants are to arrange own parking
- RMH will not be liable for loss of personal property or parking fines incurred
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE REGISTRATION FORM
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE TERMS & CONDITIONS